In end stage renal disease (ESRD), patients must have a lot of discomforts and problems, some of them are quite dangerous. A kidney-friendly diet plan can help manage patients’ health problems. If you have ESRD, you should make clear what foods to eat and not eat with this kidney problem.
Foods to eat with ESRD
For patients with end stage renal disease, the basic dietary suggestion is to reduce the burden on kidneys. It is better that a diet plan can help boost patients’ kidney condition. According to this requirement, patients are suggested to eat foods listed below.
- High-quality protein: Compared with incomplete protein, high-quality protein can provide more essential amino acid and produce less waste product. If patients haven’t begun dialysis, they are suggested to take in 0.6g/kg body weight every day. Otherwise, they can increase their protein intake to 1.2g/kg body weight. Besides, half of protein intake should come from high-quality protein.
- Unsaturated fatty acid: As introduced by kidney experts, more than 80% of kidney disease is due to immune disorder. Unsaturated fatty acid is proven to have property of inhibiting inflammatory reactions and protecting the remaining kidney functioning tissues.
- Antioxidant: Vitamin C, folic acid and flavonoid are common antioxidant substances. Blueberry, strawberry, strawberry, kiwi fruit, lemon, etc, are rich in antioxidant.
Foods not to eat with ESRD
Some foods may worsen patients’ health condition easily, so patients should avoid some foods including:
- High-sodium foods: If patients eat too much high-sodium foods, their high blood pressure and swelling may be induced or even worsened easily. Therefore, they should avoid bacon, canned foods, processed foods, and so on.
- High-potassium and high-phosphorus foods: When kidneys are unable to eliminate potassium and phosphorus effectively, extra potassium and phosphorus will build up in the blood. If this happens, patients should limit their intake of high-potassium and high-phosphorus foods.
If you want to get a food list in detail, you can tell the doctor online more about your illness condition. Then, kidney experts here can help you in detail.