If kidney cyst is too large, patients should take active treatments to shrink them. In this case, a healthy diet plan can support medical therapy to improve patients’ health condition a lot. Thereby, it is necessary to make clear what foods to eat and avoid with large cyst on kidney.
Foods to eat with large kidney cyst
Low sodium and low protein are two basic dietary requirements for kidney cyst patients. From this point, these patients are recommended to give the following foods a try.
- Vegetables and fruits: Most vegetables and fruits contain rich vitamins and antioxidants but few sodium and protein, so patients with large kidney cyst had better eat more these foods. For example, cranberry or cranberry juice can help prevent and treat urinary tract infections, one common complication of big kidney cyst.
- Soy bean: Some reports claim that soy bean can help slow down the growth of kidney cysts to some extent, so it is one good choice to eat correct amount of soy bean.
- Corn silk: Corn silk can be consumed as herbal tea, and it can help drain sac fluid and shrink kidney cyst.
Foods to avoid with large kidney cyst
In our daily life, some foods may worsen these patients’ illness condition or speed the growth rate of large kidney cyst. They are:
- Salty foods: These foods can cause some symptoms of kidney disease such as high blood pressure and swelling, when kidney cyst affects kidney function.
- High-protein foods: Excessive amount of protein intake makes kidneys work harder and worsen patients’ illness condition.
- Caffeine-containing foods and drinks: Caffeine is one risk factor to prompt cyst enlargement, so kidney cysts patients had better avoid coffee, colas and other caffeine-containing foods and drinks.
Since the words here are limited, we are unable to list foods to eat and not eat for patients with large kidney cyst one by one. To learn them in detail, you can contact kidney experts here through leaving a message below.